Meet Vojtěch Přehnal, Microsoft Dynamics AX Developer/Technical Consultant
Experience: 6 years on more than 20 ERP projects under his belt
Projects: very flexible but prefers to work for end-users
Freelance or Permanent: flexible but prefers freelancing
Industry focus: Trade and logistics, Financials, Production, keen to get experience in Retail
Markets: On site in Switzerland, Austria, or Germany, or any projects where he can work remotely
Other interests: travelling with his wife and going to rock concerts
- Elena from 365 Freelance: Vojtěch, tell us more about your ideal future role?
Vojtěch: My ideal project would be working for a Dynamics customer and dealing directly with the end-users. I like this because there is no intermediary so my task would be very clear and focussed – I can consult onsite with end-users, I can produce and agree the specification, and then develop what is required either on site or from home. This was the case in my last project and this would work well with other clients as well.
In terms of duration, I prefer long-term projects (from 6 month on), but I am very flexible. I am also very happy to join projects that require a wider range of skills beyond normal X++ development, such as Business intelligence (SSIS/data warehousing, SSRS/reports, SSAS/OLAP cubes), web development (ASP.NET, AIF web services, AJAX), development of integrated .NET components for advanced UI controls (embedded charts, dynamic datagrids, …), database performance optimization and other advanced technical tasks.
- Elena: You were a .NET developer to start with, then you became a NAV consultant. Was it easy for you to convert to an AX developer?
Vojtěch – I started in my home country, Czech Republic, as a .NET developer and developed my own metadata-driven ERP system (which I am very proud of) for a global photo software manufacturer. Then I joined local MS partner and gained my first experience in both NAV and AX. It was an exciting time learning so many new things and getting hands-on experience with the most renowned, state of the art products from Microsoft. It was a difficult path, but not impossible. Then I joined another MS partner in Austria where I expanded my AX skills, met a lot of experienced brilliant people and got to know with the German language and culture. Now I am freelancing mostly in German speaking countries and really enjoying it.
- Elena: You have worked in many countries – Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland. Is it easy to get freelance projects abroad?
Vojtěch – When you apply for a remote project, you compete not only with the local consultants but also with many contractors from other countries, including developers from India or China who are much cheaper. This can make it very hard, so I focus on bringing better value to the customer in order to be selected for the project. This involves a high-quality X++ development based on my rich experience, providing advanced technical services such as business intelligence or web development, speaking by my customers’ native language (German) and working with my customers and end-users directly on their site. That all for a competitive rate compared to the local consultants. So it’s not generally easy to find a project abroad but it’s manageable. And after all, in German speaking countries I don’t feel like “abroad” anymore ;-)
- Elena: What do you like about the 365 Freelance concept?
Vojtěch: I like your individual approach to every consultant, getting to know him or her personally, giving him or her an opportunity to express his thoughts and ideas in a way that he or she wants (not only answering prepared questions and filling all the common forms) and actively promoting him or her on your website, on your blog, on various social networks and also personally to your clients. Last but not least, I like your fair charges, only for introducing the freelancers, not in the form of percentage of their earnings. From this perspective, you have a lot of advantages over the majority of other established Dynamics recruiters.
Elena: Thank you so much, Vojtěch! I really enjoyed talking to you.
About us: 365 Freelance is the first online platform that gives Dynamics partners and end-users instant access to hundreds of contractors. With a network spanning 75 countries, it allows companies to search for freelancers based on their skills, rates and available dates, enabling them to find the best person for their projects without incurring the hefty fees typical of recruitment agencies. Register here – www.365freelance.com
- Control risk in Dynamics projects webinar – video on demand from here June 24, 2017
- Latest Microsoft training courses and certifications for Dynamics 365 June 23, 2017
- Who is Microsoft’s best Dynamics Partner 2017? June 15, 2017
- Controlling risk in Microsoft Dynamics CRM and ERP projects June 6, 2017
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM Development Lead June 5, 2017
- New Microsoft training courses for Dynamics 365 posted on January 10, 2017
- Microsoft Dynamics exam preparation – new training material on the DLP posted on February 18, 2016
- New exam requirements for Dynamics ERP Partner Programs posted on July 5, 2016
- Dynamics 365 Enterprise training videos, courses and guides posted on April 21, 2017